Staying Healthy As You Age: Tips to Help You Grow Older with Confidence
For older adults, life continues to offer great opportunities—like embarking on a second career, traveling the world, or spending precious time with the grandkids. To stay feeling great, you may need to make adjustments to your daily routine. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to help maintain your health as you age, whether it’s making a lifestyle tweak or getting a little extra support from adding dietary supplements to your daily routine. Read on to discover proactive aging tips to help you look forward to aging confidently.
Maintaining skin health as you age
Skin changes are common as you get older. Fortunately, there are ways to help provide support for the skin. Some tips to help maintain skin health include:
- Protect your skin from the sun. Always use a broad-spectrum sunscreen when spending time outdoors and stay in the shade whenever possible. Get screened for skin cancer regularly.
- Protect the natural oils in your skin. Wash your skin gently using a mild cleanser. Instead of taking a steaming-hot shower, try bathing in warm water.
- Keep stress under control. Using stress management techniques helps prevent breakouts, skin sensitivity, and other skin issues that can be worsened when you worry.
- Support your skin from within. Try adding a skin supplement, such as Nature’s Bounty® Optimal Solutions® Hair, Skin & Nails Gummies, to your routine.* Oral supplements or topicals, such as Nature’s Bounty® Vitamin E Oil can help maintain your skin’s health and beauty.
Living a heart-healthy lifestyle
Taking steps to support your cardiovascular health is key to staying healthy as you age. According to the National Institute on Aging (NIA), growing older can lead to changes in your heart and may increase your risk for heart disease. The great news is that making some changes to your lifestyle can help support your ticker:
- Get moving. Staying active through daily exercise is a great way to support heart health. If vigorous workouts aren’t for you, try low-intensity activities like walking, gardening, or even bowling!
- Choose heart-healthy foods. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and aim for a diet that is low in saturated fats, added sugars, and salt.
- Consider a supplement. Talk to your doctor about enhancing your diet with a heart health supplement, such as Nature’s Bounty® Fish Oil supplements.* Supportive but not conclusive research shows that consumption of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. See supplement facts panel for omega-3 content.
- Lower your stress. Lowering stress levels is good for your heart. Try meditating, talking to a friend, or getting more exercise.
- Quit smoking. It’s no secret that smoking can cause damage to your heart. Quitting at any age can help to reduce your risk of heart disease.
Supporting digestive health as you age
Did you know that your digestive system is key for other functions in the body such as supporting immune health? That is why it’s critical to ensure you are maintaining a healthy gut as you age. Making some changes to your habits can help support digestive health:
- Eat high-fiber foods. Choose nutritious foods packed with fiber to aid digestion—fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are great choices.
- Try a digestive health supplement. Supplements such as probiotics can help support your gut health and overall digestion.* You can find options for daily digestive support as well as formulas to help with occasional stomach discomfort.*
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration can contribute to constipation, so be sure to drink enough water each day.
- Sit less and move more. Find ways to move your body that are fun and manageable. You should aim for at least 150 minutes per week to support digestive health.
Maintaining joint health
Getting older doesn’t mean you can’t continue to live an active lifestyle. But if occasional joint stiffness and discomfort are putting a damper on your favorite activities, you may need to make some lifestyle changes. Try these tips to support your joints:
- Trade soda for water. Staying hydrated can help support your joints. That’s because water comprises about 80% of your body’s cartilage, the flexible tissue that cushions your joints. Replacing unhealthy beverages with water is a smart switch.
- Manage your weight. Being overweight or underweight can stress your joints. Whether you want to lose or gain weight, eating a healthy diet and getting enough exercise can help you build muscle to support your joints and aid in maintaining the weight that’s suitable for your body.
- Exercise safely. Warming up your joints before a workout is especially important as you age. Listen to your body—if you feel pain in your joints during physical activity, stop what you’re doing and make an appointment with your doctor.
- Ask your doctor if a joint supplement is right for you. Joint health products may offer benefits ranging from helping with occasional joint stiffness from exercise and everyday activities to supporting overall joint health.*
Supporting your immune system
As you get older, there could also be impacts to your immune system. But there’s an upside—making some lifestyle changes can help support your immune system as you age:
- Don’t skimp on sleep. Getting enough rest is key to supporting your immune system. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends getting at least seven hours of sleep per night for adults.
- Cut back on alcohol. Drinking too much alcohol can weaken your immune system over time. Still want to clink glasses with friends? Consider offering fun mocktails!
- Eat nutrient-rich foods. Fruits, veggies, and lean protein are some great choices to help your immune system function at its best.
- Consider an immune support supplement. From Vitamin D to Zinc, immune and antioxidant vitamins can assist in maintaining good health.*
Sign Up for Ageless Health Rewards
Staying healthy as you get older can help you live your next stage of life to the fullest. Nature's Bounty® and other exciting Nestlé Health Science brands are teaming up to help you age confidently and meet the future equipped with the information and great products you’re looking for. Join the Ageless Health Rewards to earn exciting rewards and enjoy exclusive coupons, sweepstakes, and offers available only to members.