Exploring Heart Health & Omega-3 Supplements Beyond Fish Oil
We're kicking off American Heart Month with ideas to help you add heart-healthy Omega-3 to your diet even when fish oil is off the table.
Fish oil is a great way to add more Omega-3 to your diet and support cardiovascular health.* But maybe you’re allergic, vegetarian or vegan, or simply don’t like fish oil supplements. Don’t worry—we’re kicking off American Heart Month with ideas to help you add heart-healthy Omega-3 to your diet even when fish oil is off the table.
What Are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Omega-3 fatty acids are considered “good” fats that are important for cardiovascular, metabolic and cellular health.* They are beneficial for the maintenance of your cells and several body systems and organs, including your heart, joints, brain and eyes.* Because your body does not produce Omega-3 on its own, it’s important to get these fatty acids as part of a balanced diet.
The three main Omega-3 fatty acids include:
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
While EPA and DHA are typically found in fish and other kinds of seafood, you can also get EPA & DHA as well as ALA from certain plant-based sources such as Algae and supplements.
Sources of Omega-3 Fatty Acids Besides Fish Oil
Many foods other than fish and fish oil contain Omega-3, including:
- Flaxseed oil
- Chia seeds
- Canola oil
- Soybean oil
Along with adding foods containing Omega-3’s to your diet, you could take supplements containing these important fatty acids. Nature’s Bounty® Flaxseed Oil Softgels contain 540 mg of Omega-3 per serving to support heart health and cellular energy.* Flaxseed oil is a premium source of the Omega-3 fatty acid ALA.
Fish Oil Supplements for People Who Don’t Like Fish Oil
Looking for an option that has the benefits of fish oil but doesn’t taste like fish oil? Nature’s Bounty® has you covered with a variety of fish oil supplements designed to minimize that dreaded fishy aftertaste.
Try Nature’s Bounty® Omega-3 Gummies, which contain the heart-healthy Omega-3s DHA and EPA from fish oil.* These grape, strawberry and raspberry flavored gummies are so delicious, you’ll look forward to making them part of your daily routine.
Our Mini Fish Oil softgels are another great option, delivering 900 mg of Omega-3 per serving. Each softgel is coated, which means the active ingredients bypass the stomach and are digested in the small intestine, helping you avoid unpleasant “fish burps.”
Other Must-Have Heart Health Supplements
Getting enough Omega-3s is just one way to support heart health.* Along with a healthy diet, exercise, and other lifestyle changes, you can choose from a variety of other heart health supplements to support your ticker.* Two great options include:
- Berberine. Berberine is an herbal supplement that comes from a compound found in the bark of the Berberine plant. Used for centuries, Berberine supports cardiovascular health and helps maintain healthy cholesterol, triglyceride and blood sugar levels already within the normal range.* Try Nature’s Bounty® Berberine, a heart, blood sugar and cardiovascular health support supplement delivering 1000 mg of Berberine per serving.*
- Co Q-10. Coenzyme Q-10 (Co Q-10) is a nutrient that functions as an important antioxidant and provides cardiovascular support.* Nature’s Bounty® offers a variety of Co Q-10 products, including Co Q-10 200 mg, rapid release softgels that support heart health and cellular energy production.* If you prefer gummy vitamins, our Co-Q-10 gummies also contain 200 mg of Co Q-10 per serving—and you’ll love the delicious mango flavor.
Putting Heart Health First
While fish oil may be a great option for supporting cardiovascular health, there are many other ways to get Omega-3 and other heart-healthy ingredients.* What matters is finding the heart health routine that works for you—and American Heart Month is the perfect time to get started!
Nature’s Bounty® is here to support your cardiovascular wellness in February and all year round. Browse our selection of heart health products.